Sunday, January 17, 2010

Did you know that the Bull isn't on Wall Street?

It is my fifth night in MA and it's supposed to snow tonight. Today was a wonderful lazy Sunday, beginning with visiting a new church, chinese for lunch, scrapbooking in the afternoon and chili and ice cream for dinner. Yesterday was our big day in New York. We started the day by walking through Columbia University, even though it was a Saturday, just to see the campus. I liked the campus. It seemed to be a bit of a santuary in the middle of a chaotic city. Then we met up with Kyla and Kyle and ate at a little Italian cafe for lunch. Then we hit the streets, the six of us, for some touring. I have been to NYC once before to see a broadway show, but this time we did plenty more. We took the 70 floor elevator ride to the top of the Rockefellar building for incredible panoramic views of the city. I had my first subway experience and I have decided that a subway train-driver would be a great career option for an albino person. We saw the site where the twin towers once were, and stepped into a small museum for 9/11 remembrance. At this site, there is a timeline for the day, beggining at 8:24 am and throughout the day. All six of us could remember where we were the moment we first heard that a plane had crashed into the twin towers. I believe that the entire nation can remember that very moment.
While there, I kept thinking about Haiti in light of the disaster that just occured. It helped put things in perspective.
The rest of the day was spent walking about the financial district and trying to find that darn bull. What do you know, that its not actually on Wall St. We didn't end up finding the bull, but we did take pictures in fron of the Stock Exchange. All in all, it was a fantastic day and I am overly grateful for the Gelsingers who were willing to drive us into the city to meet my cousin. And I am just giddy over the fact that I was able to meet my now-jr. high-math-teacher cousin who I grew up painting toenails and building forts with as grown women in the bustling city of New York. I guess we really have grown up.

No comments: