Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I found a place in Vacaville that sells a wide variety of herbs. You can order online, and if you order in bulk you get wholesale prices. I found many of the herbs I need on their website.

Morningsunherbfarm.com

I found all kinds of fun mints like pineapple mint, orange mint, and ginger mint. All the plant guides have warnings about mint, that it is an invasive plant and will grow too quickly. I like this type of plant, maybe that means I won't kill it.

There are a few plants I will have to shop elsewhere for.

Hibiscus is going to be a difficult one to find. Because it is native to tropical environments, It is a tender plant here. I need to grow Hibiscus for that beautiful red color it gives the tea. And the flowers have a higher souce of vitamin C than citrus.

Stevia is a natural sweetener. The leaves zero calories and tastes sweeter than sugar. This is the secret of Yogi tea. I am drinking Yogi's Coconut Thai tea right now, and sure enough, stevia is an ingredient.

I think I am going to start with small plants in containers and transfer them to the ground in the spring.

1 comment:

Something Creative Here said...

Mint is an unruly plant. I have two in my windowsill and they are making it look like a jungle!

btw- I used your idea of growing seedlings in egg cartons. I have two pepper plants of some kind (can't remember) growing now.

I think your tea herb garden is a great idea and can't wait to read about it and learn stuff!