Saturday, April 3, 2010

For Those Who Cannot Speak

I love autistic people.
I hang out with autistic kids more than I do friends my age.
While it is a challenge to understand how they are thinking at times, I get immense satisfaction from seeing their minds work.
They're not stupid; they just think differently than the rest of us "neurotypicals."

It breaks my heart to see the abuse that goes in our state towards individuals with autism. While a lot of positive progress has been made in the last few decades, a lot of awful things still go on behind the curtains. Even some organizations designed to teach and train autistic children are exploiting taxpayer monies and manipulating very, very desperate families.

It's a complicated mess. I am working on an investigation to look deeper into the issue and, hopefully, advocate for change. I will post details later.

Everyday I wrestle with anger over the situation. I feel helpless. I do not possess the expertise to make the impact that I want to.

Today I read this passage, and found it encouraging.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitue.
Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."
Proverbs 31:8-9

The author uses the words "speak up" which were very meaningful to me beacuse autistic people, quite literally, "cannot speak for themselves." They are brilliant people, bound by the limitations of their verbal skills.

Speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.

You most likely know someone with autism. I encourage you to get to know them and their families. Find out what their needs are. They are interesting, lovable, and fun people. Do just a little research on the disorder-a quick search online will help you in your communication with them. Attend an "Autism Speaks" event. A tiny bit of effort will go a long way. You will be a part of a great movement.

I recommend the book, "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin. It is an amazing story of an autistic woman who went on to invent major dairy farm equipment that our nation now uses. She perfected an equipment that no "neurotypical" had been able to do.

I am challenged to use my God-given voice to speak up.

1 comment:

pbianca10 said...

Carly, I am so thankful for your compassionate heart towards these children. My two year old cousin is autistic and his baby sister has down syndrome. I know what a struggle it has been for his parents to cope with it. They love their children so much, yet there are so many barriers and challenges they have to work hard to overcome everyday!